Often, when creating space for self-care is discussed, what is really meant is creating or finding time in your life for taking care of yourself. But what if, for a moment, we thought about the actual space in our homes? What if the way we set up our homes encouraged taking more time for ourselves? Think about how your life might change if you had designated areas of your home for ‘me’ time.
Some popular self-care activities:
- Meditation/Deep Breathing
- Ageless Grace
If you wanted to try to incorporate all of the above into your schedule, it might seem overwhelming, but don’t worry! We are here to simplify things for you.
Step 1: Find a space in your home that you love. If you have children or pets, be sure that you pick a space where you can close a door when you want to spend time on your own.
Step 2: Gather your essential ‘supplies’. You will need:
- A floor pillow for meditation
- A comfortable chair for Ageless Grace, meditation, reading and writing
- Books or magazines you would like to read
- Your yoga mat
Step 3: Now that you have the essentials, what can you bring into the space to make it lovelier, and more conducive to self-care?
A few ideas:
- Get a side table to go by the chair. You can place all of your books, journal, etc on it and keep your space tidy.
- Overhead lighting can be harsh! Place a lamp on the side table for a nicer glow.
- Collect a few of your favorite pens and always have them on the side table for jotting down ideas, thoughts, and moments of brilliance.
- Place your favorite candle and lotion on the side table.
- Throw a soft blanket over the chair so that you can get comfy anytime you need to.
We are all different. How would you set up your self-care space? How would you make your space unique? Share your ideas with us in the comments section below!